Mosaics

Mayer-Marton studied the art of Byzantine (face) mosaic at Ravenna between the wars. Following his appointment at Liverpool College of Art in 1952, he received commissions from the Roman Catholic Church to carry out mosaic works at a number of churches in the area, as well as a commission for a font at the Anglican Church of St Michael and All Angels in Tettenhall, West Midlands.  The Pentecost mosaic was installed at the Church of the Holy Ghost in Ford, Liverpool and when the church was faced with demolition, a campaign was undertaken by the artist’s niece, Johanna Braithwaite, Robin Riley, Gordon Millar, Brian Drury and Sister Anthony Wilson of the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral to save it. The process, supervised by Robin Riley, was technically challenging. The mosaic was transferred to the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral in 1989.
The mosaic at the Church of the Holy Rosary is currently under threat following the decision of the Diocese of Salford to close the church.

IMPORTANT UPDATE MARCH 2017- PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION

Campaign to save Mayer-Marton Mural at the Church of the Holy Rosary, Oldham

Please download the free Flash player to view our videos and photography


Get Adobe Flash player